Relative Content

Tag Archive for Irma

Cancer-stricken Lee Chong Wei resumes badminton training in Malaysia

first_imgCancer-stricken Lee Chong Wei resumes badminton training in MalaysiaBadminton legend Lee Chong Wei was diagnosed with early stage of nose cancer last year.advertisement Indo-Asian News Service Kuala LumpurJanuary 4, 2019UPDATED: January 4, 2019 20:16 IST Lee Chong Wei was seen at the BAM’s Malaysian Badminton Academy’s gymnasium (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSLee Chong Wei was diagnosed with early stage of nose cancer last yearChong Wei is keen on participating in the Olympics for the fifth time at Tokyo Games in 2020The badminton legend is tagetting international return at Malaysian Open in AprilMalaysian badminton legend Lee Chong Wei returned to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) facility for rehabilitation training on Friday for the first time since diagnosed with cancer last year.The 36-year-old shuttler was seen at the BAM’s Malaysian Badminton Academy’s gymnasium, reports Xinhua news agency.His last appearance on the field was at the Indonesia Open in July last year, where he lost to Kento Momota of Japan in the semi-finals.Lee was diagnosed with nose cancer and has received treatment abroad. He told local Star newspaper earlier this week that he had been given green light to resume training.The former world No. 1 and a three-time Olympic silver medallist is targeting to participate in the Tokyo Olympics 2020 and said he would begin training as soon as his health permits it.Lee said his first international tournament should be the Malaysian Open in April, where he won the 12th title last year shortly before being diagnosed with cancer.Men’s singles chief coach of Malaysia’s national team, Misbun Sidek, said BAM had given Lee the freedom to decide on the training schedule and tournaments to take part in this year.Also Read | Cried, slumped on the sofa after hearing I had nose cancer: Lee Chong WeiAlso Watch:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byIANS Tags :Follow Lee Chong Wei Nextlast_img read more

Labour politician told family he was taking easy way out after MeToo

An independent investigation by the Welsh government, ordered by the first minister, has stalled due to Mr Sargeant’s family being granted a judicial review over how it will operate. Carl Sargeant’s wife Bernie, left, and his son Jack, rightCredit:The Telegraph/Andrew Price  The note said: “You deserve none of this adverse publicity because of my acts. I have failed you.”That aside, I love you more than you will ever know and I’m sorry I’ve taken the easy way out, leaving you with my s—.”Family members including his son Jack, who replaced his father as Alyn and Deeside AM, were at the hearing. Mrs Sargeant – known as Bernie – is due to give evidence later on Monday. Carl Sargeant's wife Bernie, left, and his son Jack, right A Labour politician accused of sexual misconduct left a note for his family apologising for “taking the easy way out” and “letting them down”, his inquest has heard.Welsh Assembly member Carl Sargeant, 49, was found hanged by his wife Bernadette at the family home in Connah’s Quay, North Wales.His death, on November 7, 2017, came four days after being sacked from his role as cabinet secretary for communities and children.The father-of-two was also suspended from the Labour Party over allegations of “unwanted attention, inappropriate touching or groping”, seen at the time as the latest wave of MeToo allegations.At the first day of his inquest at Ruthin County Hall on Monday, coroner for North Wales (East and Central) John Gittins read a statement from police constable Siwan Hughes, who was called to Mr Sargeant’s home after paramedics certified him dead at 11.30am.Pc Hughes said Mrs Sargeant told police she had found a note on the door of the utility room, where Mr Sargeant was found, telling her not to go in and to call the police.Another note, left next to his body, was addressed to his wife, children and family and friends, the court heard.In it, he apologised for letting them down and asked them to forgive him. His family say he was not told the details of what he was accused of and was unable to properly defend himself.It is understood details were withheld to protect the identity of the complainants involved, but Mr Sargeant’s family and solicitors say being kept in the dark caused him mental anguish.Mr Gittins said the inquest would be a “full and fair examination” of relevant matters and would not be a “trial by Press, politics or personality”.He said: “There is no place in my courtroom for accusation or speculation, simply evidence.”Wales’ First Minister Carwyn Jones is expected to give evidence to the inquest on Wednesday and a statement from Ian McNicol, now Lord McNicol – the then general secretary of the Labour Party, will be read. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. read more