Relative Content

Tag Archive for Blayd

Tender Issued for Protective Cap

first_imgThe Sydney Tar Ponds Agency has released a tender for the construction of a protective cap over treated tar ponds sediment. “Today is good news for the people of Sydney,” said Rona Ambrose, Minister of Public Works and Government Services. “This tender for the Tar Ponds cap will lead to the reclamation of nearly 240 acres of land and a cleaner and more sustainable future for residents.” It’s the third step in a series of projects leading to the future development of the remediated site. “The Tar Ponds cap is an extremely important part of an overall project that is not only creating good jobs but also making life better for families,” said Bill Estabrooks, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. “This is the connecting contract between the remediation work on the project, and future use of the former Tar Ponds site.” Construction of the multi-layer protective cap will begin in the fall, and is scheduled for completion in summer, 2013. It will include a grading/bedding layer, a geosynthetic clay layer, a geocomposit drainage layer, protective fill, topsoil and hydro seed. The cap is designed to direct rain and groundwater into an engineered channel that will also carry brook water to the mouth of Sydney Harbour. The tender closes Aug. 10. More than 70 per cent of the south pond, located between Prince Street and the Ferry Street Bridge, has been solidified and stabilized. Treatment of the entire pond is expected to be completed in August. It will be followed by the construction of a channel to allow brook water and groundwater to flow through the site and into the harbour. In January 2007, the government of Canada and province of Nova Scotia committed $400 million to ensure the Tar Ponds and Coke Ovens cleanup is completed by 2014.last_img read more

Ministry of Justice Detained Rif Activists Will be Guaranteed Fair Legal

Rabat – Hicham El Belaoui, a judge at the Ministry of Justice, has said that the detained Rif activists will be guaranteed “fair legal procedures” and “the presumption of innocence.”El Belaoui made the statements during a TV appearance on Morocco’s state channel, saying that the public prosecution will fulfill its role in defending rights and freedoms. He added that the prosecution has already ordered medical examinations of the detained activists and that it has responded to requests made by the activists’ lawyers to visit their client.The judge explained that “The detainees were arrested by the National Brigade of the Judicial Police (BNJP) based on instructions by the General Prosecution in Al Hoceima.” He added that, “The brigade received instructions to conduct these investigations. And it operates all over national territories according to the law and its prerogatives.”  The judge refuted claims propagated on social media, which indicated that detainees had been subjected to torture. He also countered the claims that the arrested activists had been kidnapped and taken to undisclosed destinations.El Belaoui asserted that the BNJP is bound to respect procedures such as informing families of the detainees of the reasons for their arrest and where they were taken. He also scorned the use of the term “kidnapping” to describe the arrest of activists, adding that it was perfectly normal to transfer the activists to the BNJP headquarters in Casablanca for further investigation.El Belaoui stressed that the Public Prosecution to the Court of Appeal in Al Hoceima does not shy away from issuing statements to enlighten public opinion and provide information about each arrest.According to the judge, there are two types of suspects: First, some are prosecuted for violence against security forces, armed protesting and damaging public property. Charges have been pressed against some of those arrested, while the charges against others have been dropped. Regarding the second type, 31 people have been arrested thus far for undermining state security.The seven months of protests came following the October death of Mouhcine Fikri, a fishmonger who was crushed to death in a trash compactor while attempting to retrieve merchandise discarded by the authorities.Tensions have increased over the past few days, however, following the pursuit and arrest of leading activist, Nasser Zefzafi, by police. He was taken into custody on Monday after interrupting a Friday sermon he felt was denouncing the “Hirak” movement, and was transferred to Casablanca for investigation. He has since been charged with “obstructing the right of worship” and “undermining state security.”At a press conference held on Thursday, the defense board for the suspects said that they have not been tortured and they are in a good health, adding that they have no information about the health status of Zefzafi, but are set to meet him on Saturday. read more