Meanwhile speculation was rife yesterday that former Presidential Advisor Hemakumara Nanayakara has been approached by the UNP to contest the elections on behalf of the opposition.Nanayakara resigned from his post over a dispute with the government. The elections will be seen as a referendum on the government at a time when the cost of living has gone up with the rise in the price of essential items. The government today dissolved the North Central, Sabaragamuwa and Eastern Provincial councils through a gazette notification, the government information department said.The gazette was issued last night dissolving the three councils with effect from today, a year before the scheduled day the term of the three councils end. Elections for the three councils are expected to take place in September this year.
- CIC slams Hockey India for refusing info on complimentary passes
- Board of Control for Cricket in India announces two-year ban for age frauds
- 277 revision surgeries have been performed due to faulty J&J hip implants: Minister
- JK Tyre Himalayan Drive 7 winners donate prize money for Pulwama attack martyrs families
- Andre Russell celebrates his 31st birthday in style: One of my best T20 days