Meanwhile speculation was rife yesterday that former Presidential Advisor Hemakumara Nanayakara has been approached by the UNP to contest the elections on behalf of the opposition.Nanayakara resigned from his post over a dispute with the government. The elections will be seen as a referendum on the government at a time when the cost of living has gone up with the rise in the price of essential items. The government today dissolved the North Central, Sabaragamuwa and Eastern Provincial councils through a gazette notification, the government information department said.The gazette was issued last night dissolving the three councils with effect from today, a year before the scheduled day the term of the three councils end. Elections for the three councils are expected to take place in September this year.
- Hunter Hicks Wins Second Annual Southland Home Run Derby
- Mourinho Out trends as Spurs fans complain Pochettino was not the problem
- Spurs make little fuss over Mou’s first home game & barely mention Poch
- Pacific nations call for action on rugby league pay gap
- Canberra Raiders stun Melbourne Storm, move to third in NRL ladder